Monday, September 15, 2008

The Greatest Great Aunt and other fun down south

Zia Loredana (Zia means Aunt) is actually my great aunt. She is the greatest great aunt to have ever lived. She is 92, she has spunk, likes a stiff drink, but is one of the softest and most generous people I have ever known. She lives in Civitanova Marche, which is about 3 hours south of Bologna on the adriatic coast. We were to proceed to Pompei (just outside of Naples) after visiting her, but once we saw the color of the ocean and her face, we decided to stay at the beach and enjoy the paradise we had just entered. So, we found a shop that was still open and each bought a bathing suit (I bought and wore a bikini, a first for me and although a success, it was not documented by way of photography. heck no!). We also went looking for cheap towels and the cheapest we found donned suggestive photos of scantily dressed women. PERFECT! We bought them immediately and headed for the beach.

The #1 great aunt! Here we are enjoying a stroll on the "boardwalk" on the day we arrive. Just 10 minutes after this shot was taken my family makes the final decision that we are staying put and saying, "do we really have to go to Naples???"

Being very fashion forward.


My great aunt can't walk very much, so she insisted we drop her off at home for a while and go out enjoying the area. So we decided to go visit a nearby city, Ascoli Picena, or as the locals say it "Ashcoli". It turned out to be a beautiful city!


My camera was dying but I was able to quickly pull of this picture in the Piazza, resulting in my father's lack of preparation.


Here we are enjoying a cocktail at the famous Meletti bar where Annis licquor was first concocted.



My handsom brother.


And my special self.


I really liked this shot and had to wait for a lady to exit the frame before taking it. However, I snapped a picture as she was still walking thinking it was such a fitting image and that it would probably look great with some added contrast...



Here is the same shot in black and white with more contrast.


A nice Ascoli street.

Brother and sister


Corinthian columns from the Roman era (around 100 bc) that were incorporated into this church about 200 years ago.



The main duomo.



Italian men getting together to chat in the piazza.


A sea horse as a fountain.



You must drink from me now.


Building next to the duomo, both built on roman ruins in travertine.



The duomo.


near the piazza


Now this is a nice piazza, eh?

No comments: